Automatic fuel fill stations provide an easy and convenient connection point for offloading fuel from tank cars to above-ground fuel tanks. Here are the operating steps for a Simplex SmartPump, model SP-x (the x denotes the size of the fuel hose coupling, i.e.: 2″, 3″, etc):
- Delivery truck arrives and driver proceeds to SmartPump to make fuel delivery.
- Connect ground cable.
- Unlock fill box and control box.
- Turn on controller.
- Connect delivery hose to hose coupling.
- Open valve on truck.
- Open SmartPump inlet valve.
- Open SmartPump outlet valve.
- Start SmartPump (see note below).
- Fuel is delivered to tank.
- At Tank Full (90%), audible and visual alarm activates and alerts driver, SmartPump stops.
- Driver may stop delivery at this point.
- Driver can restart SmartPump by pressing “override” pushbutton and pressing “Pump Start” pushbutton. Pump will run for 30 second intervals.
- Driver can continue filling or drain delivery hose at this time.
- To drain hose, driver closes truck valve and breaks hose connection at tank and allows SmartPump to empty hose.
- Driver may restart SmartPump in 30 second intervals, but all filling and hose draining operations must be ended and truck valve closed prior to reaching High Level (95%).
- At High Level, audible and visual alarm activates and SmartPump stops. SmartPump can not be restarted.
- Close SmartPump outlet valve.
- Close SmartPump inlet valve.
- Disconnect delivery hose and ground cable.
- Turn controller off.
- Close and lock SmartPump doors.
Note: For installations using a multi-tank SmartPump, the operator is asked to select which tank is going to be filled. This selection causes an electrically-operated valve to open only on the fill line to the selected tank. Once a tank is filled, an alternate tank may be selected to continue filling operations through the same SmartPump connection.